After the deadly collapse of a bridge, Italy is in shock. The sadness also overshadows Cristiano Ronaldo’s league debut. Italy’s football dreamed of a different start to the season.
Rome – For weeks the Tifosi in Italy have been looking forward to the first compulsory match of the new superstar Cristiano Ronaldo – but the bridge collapse in Genoa with dozens of dead pushes football in Italy into the background for the start of the season. At least 37 people died, Italy is shaken. Before each match, there will be one minute of silence in the stadiums at the start of the Serie A season on the weekend. The game will be played with black mourning pile.
In Genoa, the scene of the disaster, even the entire stadium remains empty. The league postponed both Sampdoria Genoa’s home game against Florence and CFC Genoa’s and AC Milan’s encounter indefinitely. The decision is an “important act of solidarity for Genoa and the Genovese, who are experiencing days of deep pain and dismay,” said Sampdoria President Massimo Ferrero, who thanked them for their sympathy.
Luca Pastorino, an Italian member of parliament from Genoa, criticized that the match day had not been cancelled altogether. “On the national day of mourning, it seems absurd that the Serie A championship should regularly begin with Chievo – Juventus. How much is life worth, how much are the hearts torn under a collapsed bridge worth? What is the pain of families, children, men and women worth? Nothing? Ferrero said? Ferrero, on the other hand, said: “It’s right to play on the other courts, it doesn’t deprive us of the closeness that the whole of Italy has shown us”.
Ronaldo transfer like a “lottery win”
The world is currently looking to Italy – but the club officials had hoped for a different kind of attention at the start of the season. Ex-Juve player Christian Vieri described the transfer of Ronaldos from Real Madrid to Juve as a “lottery win”, which will once again give the Italian league more attention from abroad. He said that little has been said about Serie A recently because the superstars are missing. That time should now be over.
The “Gazzetta dello Sport” spoke of the “craziest transfer summer in many years”. Not only Juve, which is aiming for the eighth championship title in a row with the 112 million Euro record transfer Ronaldo, took a deep hit. According to calculations by the transfermarkt.de portal, the 20 clubs in Serie A spent more than a billion euros on new players before the end of the transition period on Friday evening. In recent years, the sums have risen steadily, but so far not above the billion mark.
In addition to Ronaldo, Turin also signed the German international Emre Can from Liverpool and Joao Cancelo from Inter Milan. Leonardo Bonucci is also back after a season at AC Milan.
Joao Cancelo Honours
- Primeira Liga: 2013–14
- Taça da Liga: 2013–14
- UEFA European Under-21 Championship: Runner-up 2015
Milan clubs upgraded
The runners-up to the table, SSC Naples, will be looking to launch a new attack on the much-anticipated third Scudetto in their history next season with ex-Bavarian coach Carlo Ancelotti. Under Maurizio Sarri, who had club boss Aurelio de Laurentiis move to Chelsea FC, Napoli was thrilled with offensive football, but it wasn’t enough for a title. Almost 30 years after the last league title for club legend Diego Maradona’s team, Ancelotti is still a dream come true for the fans, despite a disappointing preparation.
While Napoli’s former coach Ancelotti is the most prominent new name, Milan’s clubs, like Juve, have upgraded once again this summer. Milan brought in striker Gonzalo Higuaín from Turin, while Inter paid an estimated 38 million euros to AS Rome for Radja Nainggolan. After the Juve dominance of the past years, the Serie A title fight could therefore offer more suspense again – and at least give Italy a few other headlines at the Serie A opening amid the mourning for the victims of Genoa. Check here to know more of BGO Casino Review.